St. Augustine, FL does not lack in character one bit! This town is full of authentic history that you can experience just through one look. For anyone who hasn't heard or experienced all this town has to offer you better start booking your trip!
St. Augustine is located (two hours) north of Orlando and sits (45 minutes) beneath Jacksonville, FL . Even though most spring breakers head their way to the south of Florida don't overlook this hidden gem! Visit the Oldest City in America to see historic forts, Spanish colonial architecture, lighthouses, haunted mansions, old town trolley tours, cobblestone roads, active nightlife and much much more!
- Fly into Orlando International Airport or Jacksonville International Airport
- Find an authentic stay on Airbnb in Downtown St.Augustine or in Anastasia Island or find one of the local B&Bs in the heart of downtown
Looking for a beach getaway? Stay on Anastasia Island located only 13 minutes outside of the hustle and bustle of downtown St. Augustine and be seconds away from the beautiful sand beaches. Anastasia Island is the perfect place for beach goers, this sleepy relaxing beach town will be exactly what you are looking for. Comb the beaches looking for seashells or shark teeth, rent bikes and stroll down the shore, surf, lay out and catch some rays, or grab a bite to eat at the local restaurants.
Top 15 Activities in St. Augustine
Interested in St. Augustine yet?! Here is the ultimate itinerary checklist to make sure you soak up every bit of this historic town!
- Walk and eat your way through Historic Old Town St. Augustine
- Walk through the Town of Lights at night
- Explore the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- Visit the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum
- Anastasia State Park
- Ride on a St. Augustine Old Town Trolley Ride Tour
- Take a Scenic Boat Ride
- Old Jail Tour
- Visit the Oldest Store Museum
- Wine Tasting Cruise
- Go on a Nightime Ghost Tour (town has a variety of these to choose from)
- Wildlife Kayaking Tour
- St. Augustine Scavenger Hunt
- Haunted Lighthouse Tour
- Tour beautiful Flagler College
Top 5 Activities
On our latest trip to St. Augustine we only had time to do the top 5 things on our itinerary list!
- The first day we spent the entire afternoon adventuring through St. George Street and Aviles Street. These two streets have roads with cobblestone and historic Spanish Colonial architecture buildings that the various restaurants and boutiques are in. Any food or drink you can think of St. Augustine has got it! You can expect to see people dressed in Spanish colonial costumes which really add to the full experience! Once again this is the Oldest City in America, so this will be a town walk like no other and is definitely a must!
- Come back downtown at night to experience the ultimate nightlife! Downtown St. Augustine is known for their beautiful town lights, some might even say its the true city of lights! Stroll the streets and join in on the very active nightlife of downtown. There are plenty and I mean plenty of food, dessert and drink options (they have a popsicle shop if that says anything about their unique food choices) that will all leave you full!
- Another must see attraction is touring the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument! This is the oldest fort in America and you won't want to miss out adventuring through this place! It's just right across the street from downtown making it an easy walk to! Climb through ancient rooms and take in the view of the bay from the top lookout! This structure is made out of broken seashells and clay making it nothing short to unique! This is a must see for all history lovers for sure! Cross this one off your bucket list!
- Another top tourist attraction in St. Augustine is the Lighthouse and Maritime Museum. This was a personal favorite of mine! Take a self guided or guided tour and adventure your way up 219 steps of the spiral staircase to the top of the Lighthouse! The views from the top will leave you speechless as you see all of Anastasia Island and St. Augustine! You can also explore inside where the old lighthouse keeper and his family use to live and learn all about the history of the property!
- Travel to Anastasia Island National Park and explore the breathtaking beaches and coastal trails! The National Park is home to some of the best coastal camping and RV spots in Florida! Comb the beaches looking for seashells or shark teeth, rent bikes and stroll down the shore, surf, go on walking paths, lay out and catch some rays, or grab a bite to eat at the local restaurants..
Overall you should definitely Visit the Oldest City in America: St. Augustine, this place will not disappoint! Book your trip today to explore Florida's hidden destination!